This plan is formulated based on the aims and objectives of Beijing Olympic Action Plan, to accelerate the modernization process of transport construction and traffic management in Beijing for convenient, rapid, safe, orderly, efficient and environmentally friendly transportation services, and to create first-class traffic environments for staging a best-ever Olympic Games in history.
1 Guidelines and Objectives
(1) Necessary and sufficient transport support will be provided to guarantee the realization of Beijing’s global objectives for social economic development and city construction. At the same time, responding to the unique opportunities created by Beijing Olympic Games, the modernization process of transportation construction, operation and management will be accelerated by utilizing the favorable conditions made available by Beijing’s rapid social and economic developments based on Beijing’s advantages in science & technology and human resources.
(2) The urban transport infrastructure construction will be aimed to meet Beijing’s global demand in urban developments while the temporary and localized special traffic demand during the Olympic Games will be satisfied through scientific traffic organization and traffic demand management.
(3) As a guiding principle, the construction and management of transport facilities will be integrated while equal attention will be paid to both traffic demand management and facility operation management.
(4) The policy of public transportation priority and modern logistics system development will be adhered to so as to improve the Beijing’s daily commuter trip structure and passenger freight transport modes. The growth of private car ownership will be guided while their use be properly restricted.
(5) The public transportation system will also be fully exploited as a functional instrument in guiding Beijing’s urban development. Urban land development with transit-oriented development (TOD) will be employed to rationalize Beijing’s layout and provide reliable transportation supporting facilities for the development of scattered groups and small towns in the suburbs.
(6) Interurban traffic of Beijing as the nation’s capital will be enhanced to provide necessary transportation support for the integrated development of Beijing and neighboring cities.
(7) The organizational system for urban transportation construction and management will be improved and regulated to provide more efficient institutional support for Beijing’s urban transportation planning, construction, operation and management.
1.2 Urban Transportation Development Objectives for 2008
The modernization process of transportation construction and management in Beijing will be greatly advanced to provide convenient, rapid, safe, orderly, efficient and environmental friendly transport services. The construction of railway, urban road, expressway, interurban transport hubs and modern transportation operation administration system will be accelerated to provide sufficient transport support that guarantees the development of Beijing’s social economic development and urban construction, and to offer first class urban transport services for the Olympic Games.
(1) A multi-functional system of airport hub and land transport hubs will take shape with the integration of spoke and point-to-point patterns.
(2) Beijing’s integrated urban transportation system will be established with proper functional structure, high capacity and efficiency, and more human orientation.
(3) The urban trip mode structure in Beijing will be substantially improved. With railway transport as the backbone, buses and trolley buses as the mainstay, the public transportation system will carry up to 60% of daily commuters, upgrading its share in total daily trips from 26% to 40%.
(4) World-class road traffic management system will be established. The framework of Integrated Intelligent Transport System will be formed. The capacity and efficiency of Beijing’s passenger and freight transport will be of world advanced level. Intelligent management in transport dispatch, loading service and transport information service will be realized.
(5) The average auto speed on urban expressways in rush hours will reach 35~50km/h, and the average speed on main roads in urban areas will reach 20km/h. The average time for commuter trips within the 5th ring road will not exceed 50 minutes.
(6) During the Olympic Games, it will take no more than 30 minutes for athletes, coaches and Olympic officials from residential places to venues. On the Olympic transport priority lanes, the average speed will not be no less than 60km/h.
(7) Intelligent road traffic management will be available. Police controlled area will be increased to 10~15%. The times of vehicle stopping will be reduced by over 50%. The queuing lines at intersections will be decreased by 50%. The traffic accidents will be reduced by 20%.
(8) Traffic environment quality will be substantially improved. Vehicle exhaust and noises will be efficiently controlled.